Friday, January 29, 2016

Almost the end

of January!  Today, the 30th, and 31st.  Did you make any New Years Resolutions?  Have you broken any of them?

I've never been keen on making a long list of desires to accomplish.  This year, I kind of mentally decided to pick a new thing the first of every month to work on.  Would continue the ones from the previous month as well.  January, I've bitten the reading bug.  Five books since the first.  I started another and it was an utter chore to read.  As I've been getting a lot of recommendations, I scrapped number 5 and moved to 6.  Here is what I've read so far:
  1. Wonder
  2. Book Thief
  3. The Giver
  4. The Snow Child
  5. Walking by Thoreau (book I scrapped)
  6. Counting by 7s
So far I have enjoyed all but Walking so far.  Counting by 7s took a bit to get into but it did grip me about 2/3 of the way.  Probably read that far "waiting" for the "I want to see how this ends" feeling.  Still need to pick a new book, but may wait a day to catch up on other things.

As for February, I am not sure what I want to make a habit of.  It might just be a tweaking of my desire to get fit.  Bought a Fitbit a few days ago.  That has been surprisingly motivating.  Need to add strengthening to the walking and water aspect though.  Snow removal has a way of introducing muscles that haven't been used in awhile.  Will see how that goes.  But have also been mulling over more drawing, coloring, crafting and the like.  I am surprised at how much I've missed it the last few years. It had taken a back seat to life and I am enjoying the process of finding things to do, to create, and even designing things.

Guess another resolution would be to come back here, more often, to note the "Joy in the Ordinary".  Had seen something with those words on it, in December, and it stuck wit me.  Most days, I am looking for the little things and finding the joy in it.  Since the our last birthday celebration, here are some of the things that have brought joy:
This is what the sky has been like, on occasion.  Beautiful!!

  • sunlight reflecting off of fresh snow
  • neighbors, who pitch in to get a job done
  • hot tea
  • time to wander Micheal's
  • friends
  • reading
  • not loosing electricity
  • fitbit
  • easy meals to prepare
  • time to put feet up

No comments:

Post a Comment